In this guide you’ll come across affiliate and partner links. When you click and use their services or buy their products, Thailand Starter Kit gets a small commission. You won’t pay anything extra for these services or products, but the small commission helps us cover the costs of running this website.
In this episode of Brewed in Bangkok, Karsten and Siddhant meet Dr Andrew Stotz PhD, co-founder of Coffee Works, President of CFA Society Thailand, financial analyst and teacher. Andrew came to Thailand 25 years ago and fell in love with the country instantly. While Andrew worked as an investment banker in Bangkok, he decided to co-found CoffeeWORKS, a coffee roasting company that provides coffee to restaurants such as Dean & Deluca, McDonald’s and many more. Andrew has been very successful as a financial analyst over the last two decades and as CEO of A.Stotz Investment Research (ASIR), he has been at the forefront of the Asian markets. Nowadays, Andrew also teaches a masterclass on valuation and investment online. Join Karsten and Siddhant as they chat with Andrew about stock markets, coffee, investment and business advice and why you should or shouldn’t come to Thailand.
And as a special for every listener: Have a business plan for Thailand and want an expert opinion on it? Andrew tells him how you can get his input and advice for free in this episode!
About Andrew Stotz
- co-founder of CoffeeWORKS Co. Ltd
- founded Valuation Master Class
- author of “How To Start Building Your Wealth Investing In The Stock Market”
- lectures on financial topics around the world
- has a ping-pong robot
- moved to Thailand in 1992
- was a stock market analyst in 1993
- president of the CFA Society Thailand and is a member of the Advisory Board at Thammasat University’s Business School
- grew up in Hudson, Ohio
- has taught finance for 25 yrs.
- graduated with a PhD in Management Science and Engineering at the University of Science and Technology of China, a Bachelor of Science degree in finance and an MBA from California State University
Topics Discussed Today
- how he started a coffee business in Bangkok during the worst financial crisis in history
- The Asian financial crisis of 1997 that started in Thailand, predicting a bust and Marc Faber (Dr Doom)
- explains his online course on “How To Become a Better Investor”
- how many stocks you should own
- gives advice on what to do when your stocks go down
- getting ready
- being a manager at Pepsi
- how he met and advised the Finance Minister of Thailand
- why or why not you should move to Bangkok
- Andrew Stotz’ website and his e-mail.
- Valuation Master Class
- CoffeeWorks Co. Ltd.
- Gary Sutton’s book ‘The Six Month Fix’
I had some help with this episode: Lou Pobjecky kindly helped me with a lot of the necessary audio edits to get the file in a listenable shape. Lou also put together the cover image and quick description for this episode.
Check out the complete collection of Brewed in Bangkok episodes. If you’re interested in more Indian Thai experiences, you can check out the episode 22, Wedding Elephants and Other Indian-Thai Experiences.
We have a small favor to ask. Readership at Thailand Starter Kit has grown but the revenue we bring in each month isn’t matching our running costs. Thailand Starter Kit’s unmatched, long-form guides on living, working, renting, and starting businesses in Thailand take a lot of time, money, and hard work to create. But we do it because we believe in helping expats just like you—because we are also in your shoes.
If everyone reading our guides helps fund them, our future as expats in Thailand will be much easier. For as little as $1 you can support Thailand Starter Kit—and it only takes a minute. Thank you.