Thailand Starter Kit is a collection of free guides for people looking to move to Thailand to live and work there. It covers the less glamorous topics every expat and long-term visitor has to figure out, including health insurance, renting an apartment, opening a bank account, hiring a lawyer and other challenges of expat life in Thailand. If you’re looking for something specific, you can use the search box on the right hand side (bottom of the page if you’re viewing it on mobile).
Where to Start
The best place to start is this detailed overview of my cost of living in Bangkok. It shows what I spend money (as well as exactly how much) while living and working here. From there you can then check out what you’ll need for living here, discover how to get the best deals and figure out the most convenient solutions. The article cross-links to a lot of other sections on the website, making it easier to dive deeper into how to figure life out in Thailand and what it’ll end up costing.
I cover the essentials of life in Bangkok, but there are some areas that I feel particular confident in giving advice. I’m a health-conscious guy (how to stay fit in Bangkok), who likes to optimize life (where to order groceries on the internet) and enjoys running a tech company out of Bangkok (how to hire the right people in Thailand and how to handle cross-cultural management challenges). If you are still trying to figure out what you could be doing when you move to Bangkok, you might also want to check out this guide to finding a job in Thailand.
- How to Get a Thai Driving License: Documents, Test and Renewal April 20, 2017
- A Pragmatic Guide to Money and Relationships in Thailand April 11, 2017
- Flights Within Thailand: A Guide to Airlines and Cheap Tickets March 28, 2017
- Thai Language Books: A Review of Available Titles March 2, 2017
- The Way Thais Lead: A Book Review February 13, 2017
Podcast: Brewed in Bangkok
If you’re wondering what life is like for the people who actually live in Bangkok, you should check out our podcast ‘Brewed in Bangkok‘. It’s a great way to discover the stories that lie hidden throughout Thailand’s capital. Here are the latest episodes of the Brewed in Bangkok podcast:
- BiB020: Spilling the Beans With Suranand Vejjajiva
- BiB019: Sukhumvit Noir With Jake Needham
- BiB018: Medical Research and Clinical Practices in Thailand With Benno von Bormann
If you have a question that’s not answered on the website, please feel free to contact me and I’ll do my best to help you out. Keep in mind that I have a day time job managing a company, so replies might sometimes be a bit delayed.