Music is the life for a great many people, but it’s only for a select few that it actually provides a livelihood. Napak Boonruang, better known as Dom, is one of the people who can count themselves among the
lucky talented few.
Running three different bands, she has taken music from just a fun passion to a business that supports herself and her family upcountry. In this episode, she talks about making her way from Thailand’s countryside to the capital, from her first steps after arriving at a temple school to venturing in the world of music.
The first band Dom started back in her days at an all-girls high school exists to this very day: The Unicorn Girl Band. Since then, she’s launched her own solo acoustic act and founded another band called ‘The Grumps’. She and her bands have made a name for themselves in Bangkok and at contests in the region.
- Coming to Bangkok from the countryside (0:58)
- Dom’s school background (2:06)
- The origins of her first band (4:26)
- Success, competitions and failure (12:54)
- What you miss once you leave the world of live performance (17:47)
- When was the first time someone threw money at you (18:19)
- How parents see a singing daughter (21:12)
- Differences between Bangkok and the countryside (23:00)
- Supporting a family back home (25:54)
- Working hours of a band leader (28:54)
- What are your plans for the future (32:45)
Websites and People Mentioned
- Episode 7 of the Brewed in Bangkok podcast.
- Tiny Moon – Dom’s acoustic act
- The Grumps – her latest all girls band project
- Unicorn Girl Band – the original all girls band that Dom founded in high school and that’s still running
- Girls Rock Asia – the upcoming all girls band competition on October 21st to 23rd at Flow House Bangkok
- Tiny Moon performs @ Kiwi Bar and Restaurant every Wednesday 7:30PM – 9:30PM
- In WXYZ @ Aloft Hotel every Saturday
If you love our content and want us to create more of this, please support us on Patreon.
If you have any specific questions, ask here and someone from our team will usually reply within a couple days.