This episode of Brewed in Bangkok is different. It’s the most sinister conversation I had for this podcast. It’s a glimpse into a darker world. It’s the youngest drug counselor of the UK, telling his own story of addiction and where it ultimately lead him. I recommend listening to this episode on headphones (or make sure there are no minors around). A good part of it is anything but family-friendly.
- What happens when you take a year off in elementary school (1:15)
- Thoughts on stealing alcohol at age seven (8:10)
- Raising GBP 250,000 to build a skate park (11:05)
- Experiencing a drug-fueled meltdown and getting rescued by an ex-junkie (22:22)
- Teaching junkies how to shoot up and helping people quit (24:12)
- Becoming the youngest drug counselor to work for the UK government (26:46)
- Walking into an unexpected foursome (31:02)
- The HIV-test doctor encounter you don’t want to live through (but still want to hear about) (32:40)
- Dangers of partying in Bangkok and getting held up at gun point (33:30)
- Working as a private detective (36:10)
- Escaping your own apartment by climbing down the balcony using cut-up bed linen (40:00)
- The turn-around: Studying and researching in Thailand (43:30)
- I did my own thing, which included taking a year off in 4th grade (1:15)
- I really would have liked Steve’s mom and dad and Toby’s mom and dad to sit down with my mom and dad and teach them how to be a mom and dad (4:30)
- This is so bad: I stole the hat off a girl who had leukemia. Looking back, that’s appalling. If someone had done that to my sister, I would have killed the son of a bitch. (5:15)
- I wanted attention of some kind. And bad attention was better than no attention (5:30)
- What I call ‘drinking’ is when you put that glass to your mouth, you feel it go in, and it’s like a liquid orgasm going down your body. I was in my mid-teens when I first got that feeling (7:40)
- We started with an empty shell of a factory. We raised GBP 250,000 from the government, from charities, from various organizations to build a skate park. When we opened it, it was packed – absolutely packed. We even saw crime go down as a result of it. (11:05)
- A wreckhead doesn’t require any specific substance. He just needs something that fucks with the central nervous system so much that 24 hours disappear (16:20)
- I bought one Big Mac meal a day, and everything else went to ‘gear’ (17:45).
If you love our content and want us to create more of this, please support us on Patreon.
If you have any specific questions, ask here and someone from our team will usually reply within a couple days.