It begins with the feeling of freedom. Freedom from the constraints of the West. The long winters. The corporate drudgery. But as the months pass and each year arcs back toward April, the feeling of freedom turns into the grim reminder that no matter how far we fling ourselves from America, we are prisoners of […]
Understanding the Thai legal system, whether your an individual looking for a visa or a business looking to do business in Thailand, will help you navigate confusing Thai laws. This category includes guides on visas, social security, taxes, lawyers, and more.
Recommended legal services:
- Pongkarn Khunphasee
An independent lawyer with reasonable fees for general legal matters including real estate disputes, legal contracts, family law, and incorporation issues.
- Frank Legal & Tax
A boutique international law firm specialized in corporate, commercial, and real estate law.
- 1040 Abroad
A tax firm to help US citizens on taxation no matter where they are in the world.
Recommended Legal Articles
- How to Get a Residence Certificate in Thailand - There I was, crammed in the same tiny photocopying room for the second time in just ten minutes. The young kid working behind the copier recognized me, reached out his ...
- How to Write and File Your Last Will and Testament in Thailand - When I was younger, I thought I was invincible. I didn’t need to worry about all those things like Wills or Living Wills. I had plenty of time. But, after ...
- An In-Depth Guide to Thailand Visas: Applications, Requirements, and Extensions - Foreigners visit Thailand for different reasons. Certain visits require a Thai Visa, while some don’t. If you intend to stay long-term, this in-depth guide contains a comprehensive guideline, a list ...
- The Thai Legal System: A Primer for Expats and Tourists - Many visitors and long-time residents of Thailand don't always terribly accurate picture of the legal system. Most of it is probably shaped by what tends to get reported in the media ...
- An In-Depth Guide to Hiring a Lawyer in Thailand - Finding and dealing with a lawyer can be a real headache in Thailand. I have been though that before when I moved to Thailand, especially during my few first years. ...
Recent Legal Articles
- A Short and Simple Guide to Thailand Retirement Visas
- Thailand Education Visas: Where and What You Could Study in Thailand
- Want a Work Permit in Thailand? Here’s How to Do It
- How to File Taxes in Thailand as an American Expat
- AMA With Pongkarn Khunpasee: Visas, Work Permits, and More!
- Thai Marriage Visas: Apply for and Renew Your One-Year Visa
- U.S. Social Security: A Guide for U.S. Citizens in Thailand
- Lawyers in Phuket: A List of Recommended Law Firms
- Lawyers in Bangkok: A List of Recommended Law Firms
If you missed our Thailand Starter Kit Facebook Community group’s inaugural 2018 AMA—or Ask Me Anything—no worries. We have you covered. After each of our AMAs, we’re going to recap the questions and answers and post them on the Question and Answer section of Thailand Starter Kit.If you’d like to join the next AMA, there […]
I stepped out onto the slushy streets of New York City. The wind ripped through my bones. Warm air billowed from my mouth like the steam twisting and rolling out of the metal stacks on East 52nd Street. Behind me, the Thai Consulate building. In front of me, a world of wonder. As far as […]
Thailand attracts expats from all over the world. But if you’re American, you must consider a few things before relocating here. The US government taxes you on income no matter where you live. So I’d like to tell you what happens with your Social Security Tax when you move to Thailand. Social Security Explanation So, […]
Foreigners visit Thailand for different reasons. Certain visits require a Thai Visa, while some don’t. If you intend to stay long-term, this in-depth guide contains a comprehensive guideline, a list of useful resources, and up-to-date procedures for Thai Visa application services. You can visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand website for general visa information.