MSH International is a health insurance company that’s been around for more than 40 years and provides some really good coverage options for expats and locals in Thailand. I frequently recommend them to friends asking me about health insurance. In my humble opinion, the ‘Asia Care Plus’ health insurance plan they offer is one of the best value-for-money plans currently out there.
Would this be a good plan for you? For legal reasons I’m unfortunately not allowed to give any personal insurance advice. However, if you enter your details below, I’d be happy to connect you with a trusted broker who can help you out. They can provide you not only with a quote but also answer any additional questions you might have.
About Asia Care Plus
In case you’re wondering what sets the plan apart from others to the point that I’d rave about it:
- You can pay locally in Thai Baht, while taking advantage of coverage limits on par with international insurance plans (that’s 32 million Thai Baht!)
- You may choose(!) receive treatment in several countries in Europe (including Germany). Not just on vacation or for accidents: You can actually go there for treatment – an awesome feature if you have family back there which you visit anyway.
- The plan does away with one of the most annoying parts of health insurance: The claims filing process. MSH has contracts with nearly all major Thai hospitals. On their Asia Care Plus plan you don’t have to deal with reimbursements for claims. You can just walk into one of the many hospitals (including top tier ones like Bumrungrad) and show your card: The hospital then settles the bill directly with the insurance company and you don’t have to pay a cent.
- You can choose to only use the plan for IPD: This means the insurance only covers your expenses when you get admitted to the hospital. Normal doctor visits and procedures that don’t require admittance to the hospital you pay yourself in that case. This gives you a significant discount on your premium and is particularly useful if your usual go-to doctor is very cheap but you still want to have access to the best hospitals if you have a really serious issue.
- The plan allows you to select a deductible of THB 32,000 or THB 196,000. As long as your yearly expenses are below those limits, you pay them yourself (keep the receipts!). The insurance covers any amount that exceeds the deductible up until the maximum of THB 32,000,000 per year. I’m not a fan of deductibles, but it gives you a big discount on your premium and keeps insurance for serious issues affordable at higher age brackets (age 65+).
About MSH International
MSH International offer various insurance packages, from individual and family plans, to SME and large corporate plans. There are some benefits that MSH offers that you’ll find with few (or none) other providers. The most important ones being:
- MSH offers officially licensed plans with a high coverage limit (up to THB 32,000,000) that you can pay in THB. Most other providers either have much lower limits or are only available as offshore plans that you have to pay in USD or EUR.
- Unlike a lot of other international insurance companies, MSH has an internationally-staffed office in Thailand that handles their local customer base. This means in addition to English, there is native German and French-speaking staff on hand that can speed up a lot of things like reimbursements or disputes.
- Continuing Personal Medical Exclusions (CPME). Very few people know about this: One major reason why people are hesitant to switch medical insurance is that they’re worried about additional exclusions being added to their contract. With CPME the insurer will accept you with only a very rudimentary health check and with whatever exclusions your last insurance made. There is a slight surcharge involved, but it’s often much better than not changing policies.
- MSH International has been around for more than 40 years and runs a local office in Thailand with French and German employees. They partner with over 860,000 medical providers worldwide. Over 2,000 companies in Thailand are insured by MSH International.
Please note that I’m not an insurance broker and can’t offer individualized advice. I can only connect you with people who I’d consult myself in your situation, and who I found to be professional, knowledgeable and ethical in their dealings with clients. This said, it’s important to note that these providers sometimes provide me with a financial incentive to refer them new clients. This happens at no cost to you and helps me cover some of the expenses of running this website. Please be aware that while I do my best to select the most suitable providers, I’m unable to provide any guarantees or accept any liability resulting out of your interactions and transactions with them.