In this guide you’ll come across affiliate and partner links. When you click and use their services or buy their products, Thailand Starter Kit gets a small commission. You won’t pay anything extra for these services or products, but the small commission helps us cover the costs of running this website.
Jon Bonomo wrote a tremendously useful guide for soccer fans in Thailand and it inspired me to interview him for the Brewed in Bangkok podcast.
It has been a tumultuous year for soccer in Thailand. From the cancelation of the local league to the ups and downs in the qualification for the World Cup it was a gripping twelve months.
This interview was recorded in early October and many things have changed since then. This said – it’s still a great insight into the world of Thai soccer and its fans and anyone taking an interest in the sport or looking for something more unusual to witness on their next Thailand visit.
- How did Jon get into soccer in the first place (2:23)
- What was it like to go to a Thai soccer match (3:57)
- Soccer as a rich man’s hobby (7:52)
- Ticket prices and stadiums(8:10)
- Touring the Thailand soccer scene (18:48)
- The stadium atmosphere and the fans (21:20)
- Safety concerns (24:05)
- Foreigners and making friends at Thai matches (27:05)
- The different Thai leagues (29:44)
- The state of soccer in Thailand (35:24)
- Future outlook for soccer in Thailand (40:24)
- Thai soccer match watching resources (44:57)
Websites and People Mentioned
- Rajabhat Maha Sarakham University
- Buriram United Football Club
- The Swat Cat Team
- Saraburi Football Club Facebook Page
- Flash Score
- Jon Bonomo’s Twitter
- Jon’s guide to seeing a soccer match in Thailand
We have a small favor to ask. Readership at Thailand Starter Kit has grown but the revenue we bring in each month isn’t matching our running costs. Thailand Starter Kit’s unmatched, long-form guides on living, working, renting, and starting businesses in Thailand take a lot of time, money, and hard work to create. But we do it because we believe in helping expats just like you—because we are also in your shoes.
If everyone reading our guides helps fund them, our future as expats in Thailand will be much easier. For as little as $1 you can support Thailand Starter Kit—and it only takes a minute. Thank you.